Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Like White on Rice


Well, it's Day 14 of "self propulsion" or, what you ordinary folks call walking.  And, while it's been a tremendously positive mental shift to be fully upright and somewhat independent, I am still facing a heap of challenges on a daily basis.

I've got a serious limp and I actually move slower now than I did during the last two weeks of using the boot.  Plus, having to use this brand new appendage has been a serious shock to my system.  It's almost as if after having a 13 week vacation of non-use, it's rebelling to the idea of having to return to work again.  My leg muscles are unbearably tight, the ankle is stiff, and the foot is constantly swollen.  Pulling up my pant legs, one can clearly see that my left foot--all the way up to my knee, I might add--is double, and at some points during the day, triple the size of my right foot.

I saw the doctor on Monday for a 14-week checkup.  He took one look at the ham hock and exclaimed, "this looks really good."  I just looked at him dumbfounded . . . he wasn't concerned by the size of it at all?

He just smiled and reassured me that I am progressing perfectly well and that it's just going to take some time for my body to recover from this huge trauma we've caused.  In the meantime, it's the RICE method for me--rest, ice, compression, and elevation . . . can I get some egg rolls, sweet n' sour chicken, and maybe a fortune cookie with that?

3 comments:

Lenka said...

Keep taking it easy. After I broke my arm in grade school, it took weeks to get the range of motion back.
Time for good movies and novels :)
It's so easy to feel ready to be done- I know I always think I should be 'better' within a few days of major stuff (like having my babies) but the body has it's own time-line. Can't rush healing.
Still, I hope the recovery is fast! Best wishes, Lenka

Mom said...

Awww! Honey, if were there I would bring you ice and pillows and do all your fetching and kiss it better as only your Mom can do. I'm so sorry it hurts.

Michele said...

I'm sorry that you're so uncomfortable. Hang in there! Just keep your eye on the prize. You know this will all be worth it in the end...unfortunately it's a difficult road until we get there. I am thinking of you!
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
~Michele

Post a Comment